Monday, November 21, 2016

Strategies for Independent Learning

This reflection post for this week might be a little shorter than my usually ones. It is Thanksgiving this week and so our assignments were a little shorter, thank goodness! This week our reading was entitled, "Strategies for Independent Learning." The entire chapter was different ideas that you can use to help your students better learn on their. I love this idea of the chapter because I feel like that is really the basis of what teaching special needs students is, to help them eventually start to learn things on their own without as much assistance as the beginning.
One of the things that most stood out to me this week as I learned was the process of teaching independent learning strategies.
1. Assess current strategy use.
2. Clarify expectations.
3. Demonstrate strategy use.
4. Encourage students to memorize strategy steps.
5. Provide guided and independent practice.
6. Administer post tests.
I love that by breaking it down into steps this doesn't have to be a big scary process.
There are so many different acronyms and steps for student to be able to remember and learn different school subjects on their own. This week showed me there are a lot more then I ever imagined there was.

No comments:

Post a Comment